Sunday, November 17, 2013

Procrastinating with the Rijks Museum

I took a break from working on my NaNoWriMo novel to head over to and whip up a quick cover and banner.

"Veggie Time" is the working title of the book. I'm not really happy with it, but it gave me something to stick in the Gimp and can be easily changed later.

This uses the Amazon-recommended best dimensions for a Kindle book cover. I've heard people complain these dimensions look a little thin -- but when I loaded up the image on my phone it all made sense as it almost filled the whole screen.

The Amazon recommendation for the cover is located at and the current "best dimensions" as of today were
1563 on the short side, and 2500 on the long side.

The aspect ratio is different than the one required to upload a cover to the NaNoWriMo site, so I had to make a separate cover for that. I got best results actually creating a separate cover. The vast change in dimensions (230x300) meant that the subtitle ("A novel about vegetables and parthenogenesis") was illegible when I just scaled the text.

As an extra NaNo bonus, I've since realized I misspelled "parthenogenesis" on the cover. Since it is
saved as separate layers in The Gimp, it is trivial to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment